The America

The America's Cup Match is postponed due to COVID-19

Mar 01, 2021

As the New Zealand government establishes a COVID-19 Level 3 lockdown for the next 7 days, the first weekend of the America's Cup Match is postponed for at least a week

Competition was supposed to start this Saturday 6th of March between Emirates Team New Zealand and the Italian challengers Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli Team, however after restrictions have changed in New Zealand , the races will have to wait until at least Wednesday 10th of March

In this final struggle between Emirates Team New Zealand and Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli Team the Italians are fighting in New Zealand’s ground to see who takes the America’s Cup home. Recently, we witnessed Luna Rossa’s victory against INEOS Team UK in a very challenging Prada's Cup that would determine the final contenders for the last round of the America’s Cup. The Italian team has proven to be worthy of being the final challenger and will be a hard competition for the New Zealand crew. 

America's Cup Event Ltd Chair, Tina Symmans says they want to remain prudent but "ACE will apply for an exception to race under Level 3 restrictions". The ACE is working closely with relevant authorities, but until any further advancement, we will have to wait a bit longer for the competition to take place. 

We will continue to update you on when the America’s Cup Match will take place on our social media and website. 


Courtesy of America's Cup


Related News